Women’s Aid Federation NI have produced a briefing paper outlining what we would like to see as part of the new legislation to criminalise coercive control to create more robust provisions for tackling domestic abuse across NI.
We call for the following key issues to be considered and addressed:
- Introduction of Coercive Control and Stalking legislation
- Non fatal and fatal strangulation legislation
- Recognition of Violence against Women and Girls and gender based violence
- Grant of Secure tenancies in cases of domestic abuse and abuse
- Review of the court systems in NI including criminal, civil and family courts
- Domestic Abuse Commissioner
- Secure funding for specialised services and a review of tendering and procurement in relation to domestic abuse and abuse services
A link to the full article can be found here – Two Page Briefing on Coercive Control Legislation.