If you leave an abusive partner you may be able to claim benefits to support yourself and any children.

You can find out more about this by contacting your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or your local benefits office.

The 24 Hour Domestic & Sexual Abuse Helpline (0808 802 1414) or a member of staff from your local Women’s Aid group can also help.