All relationships have their ups and downs. Conflict and disagreement is a natural element of any relationship.
However, any difficulties or arguments can usually be worked out by sitting down, talking to each other, telling each other how we feel and reaching a compromise.
Being in a healthy relationship can be wonderful and can give you friendship, support, closeness and love. A healthy relationship is based on R E S P E C T :
Rights – paying attention to each other’s rights and respecting these.
Equality – giving equal importance to each other’s needs and wants.
Sharing – exchanging thoughts, experiences and feelings.
Exploring difference – accepting that you are different people and seeing this as a positive!
Communication – being open and honest with each other
Trust – this is the essential basis for all relationships.
Early warning signs of an abusive relationship
There are many signs that may indicate when a relationship is abusive. These can include among others:
- jealousy and possessiveness
- name calling and put downs
- forcing you to do something you do not feel comfortable about
- shouting, hitting or threatening you
- controlling where you go and what you wear
- not allowing you to go out or be with your friends
- questioning you about your whereabouts
- mood swings
- breaking or hitting things when you argue, and
- feelings of fear and concern that they might hurt you.
It is important to remember:
- no one deserves to be abused
- in all relationships, including those that are abusive, we still have choices
- when relationships go wrong we all need support, and
- when relationships are abusive, there is a need to know how to seek out the help that is at hand and then use it.